Wednesday 18 August 2010

Mel, Aish, Leigh, Luckey, Yar and CorndonTor

Cairn on Aish Tor
Approaching Corndon Tor



Leigh Tor
Mel Tor



Luckey Tor

View down the Dart Valley from Sharp Tor
Sharp tor



Sharp tor
Approaching Yar tor
So another gentle run on the moors, well that was the plan.  First off the the short run to Mel Tor (149) with it's great views into the River Dart valley and over to Bench Tor.  Bench Tor stands at a similar height and less than a Km away, but it is vicious decent and ascent.  Then a blast down Dr Blackall's Drive to Aish Tor (173), and the small cairn that marks the lack of any sort of Tor.  Next I descended and crossed the road and made the short run to Leigh Tor (189).  technical stuff on Leigh Tor  After a little time on the summit, I turned and retraced my steps around Aish Tor, across Mel Tor and onwards towards Luckey Tor (186).  It was soon obvious that the easiest route would be to descend to the river and follow it to below Luckey Tor.  I was glad I did as it turned out that the most spectacular views on the Tor were from below.  The Tor rises up nearly vertically from the valley floor.  I quickly scrambled up the west flank and cut myself a path to the summit through the bracken.  Once off the Tor I looked for some sort of path west to get around the private land before heading to Sharp Tor.  But it was impossible and I was faced with no option but to return to Mel Tor, then take the path through to Sharp Tor (126).  Onwards to Yar Tor (99), now the rain had really set in so I quickly turned for Corndon Tor (87) then descend for the run to the car.  I really enjoyable run with contrasting Tors, unfortunately I managed to forget Hockinston Tor deep in the valley, maybe I will be brave and combine that with Bench Tor, Combestone Tor Circuit!!  Who knows.  The other concern is Bel Tor, which currently doesn't have any public access, I'll have to come up with a plan, any ideas....... 

GPS Track on Google Earth Map

1 comment:

  1. Loving the view down the dart valley

    ReplyDelete