Thursday 12 August 2010

Hameldown Beacon, Hameldown Tor, Shapley Tor and Wind Tor

The plan was to pick up the two points on Hameldown and then head back to Wind Tor so about an hours run.  But once on the top I felt good and decided to head onwards to Shapley Tor.  So my hours run soon turned into a 14km 1hour 50min run.  I hadn't visited any of the points on Hameldown before and was surprised at the views both West towards Princetown and East over Hound Tor and Hay Tor.  After the climb to Hameldown Beacon (34) and the ridge run to Hameldown Tor (28) I planned to pick up the path leading north east and then pickup the path to Shapley Tor.  But it quickly came apparent that the path no longer exist, and so what should have been a quick and pleasant decent turned into a case of trying to pick the line of least resistance.  Once on the path I quickly found myself at Shapley Tor (63).  It did cross my mind at this point to head west to Birch Tor before returning.  I quickly gave myself a slap and headed over to Grimspound vis Hookney Tor.  The climb from Grimspound back up to Hameldown Tor hurt but I managed to "run" all of it.  Once back on the top I enjoyed the run along and down the ridge, with the bonus of having the wind on my back.  Once back at the car I crossed the road and headed to Wind Tor (130), the final tor of the Day.  A small but nice enough Tor, I then turned for the short trot back to the car.  An enjoyable run and 4 ticked off the list.


GPS Track

Difficulties ahead........

I always take part in the Original Mountain Marathon in October and have started every one since 1997.  It's just been announced that this years event will be held on Dartmoor and I have a place.  So whats the problem, well once the start list is published you are not allowed to train in the area.  So that puts the main body of the moor out of bounds to me until after the event in October.  That means I have to look carefully at what Tors I can get without going in the out of bounds.  This may well slow me down a little in the coming months.  

3 comments:

  1. That climb from Hameldown can be a bit of a git, but the ridge track is ample reward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed a long drag from the South and short and sharp from the North not sure which I prefer!

    ReplyDelete