Monday 30 August 2010

Hockinston, Bench and Combestone Tor

Not my favourite day to be out and about on Dartmoor, but a free day and you can't afford to miss these opportunities.  So I braved the Bank Holiday madness and made my way to Dartmeet.  Quickly I was away and as usual after 200m or so of walking I was away from the crowds.  The path down the Dart is fairly good now, although occasionally it gets a bit vague, but it was nice walking in the woods out of the heat.  I thought Hockingson Tor (184) was going to be a bit of a challenge so I took the precaution of taking my GPS.  I stopped to take it out of my bag to find that I was only 180m away, not bad.  Although this included quite a climb through the trees and under growth.  Once there I ventured on to the main Tor which poked out of the tree canopy, giving good views to Mel, Sharp, Bench Tors and the valley below.  Unfortunately I must have knocked the auto focus off as my photo's are all blurred, oh well.  I was glad that on my last outing I hadn't attempted to drop down to this one from Dr Blackall's Drive as I think this would be a complete nightmare.  Anyway off I set down to the river retracing my steps and looking for somewhere to cross.  I eventually found somewhere to paddle across, I was glad of my walking poles as the river bed was very slippery and I had a number of people watching me.  After crossing I quickly started the climb to Bench Tor (165) across boulders covered with undergrowth.  This proved to be a good work out.  Soon I came to the tree line and Bench Tor which spreads itself long the top of the ridge and finally peaks at 323m, some 120m above the River Dart.  Great veiws all around on what is a great tor.  No time to explore as much as would like today and off I went. I crossed Venford Brook below the reservoir and quickly picked up the Holne Moor Leat which I followed to just below Combestone Tor (141).  Combestone Tor must be one the closest tors to the road and therefore one of the most popular on a day like today.  I didn't hang around, left the Tor in my wake, before stopping for a few pictures.  All that was left was to drop down the hill, cross the West Dart at the stepping stones, then back to the car.


Looking towards Venford from Bench Tor
Combestone Tor
Sharp Tor from Bench Tor
Hockinston Tor
 

1 comment:

  1. How do you get to Hockinston tor?! I've tried twice, nothing the first time, lots of small moss covered r ocklumps, some exposed in the braken, but nothing like your photo!

    How did you do it? What route did you take? Any help at all would be apreciated, this is my last tor left in east dartmoor to climb! -_-

    ReplyDelete