Friday 31 May 2019

Long Run with Plenty to See - 20th May 19


Parked up below Smeardon Down, it was a hot morning and I was regretting not having any suntan cream in the car.  Off I went up the track to Stephen’s Grave (K4) 

Stephen’s Grave
Stephen' Grave with White Tor behind

After pausing at Stephen's Grave I headed cross country to Langstone Moor stone circle (K6).  The running was good and under foot the moor is incredibly dry, crunchy even.
Langstone Circle
Langstone Circle

Next it was on to Limsboro Cairn (J6) near Lynch Tor.  The cairn seems some what depleted since I first visited it some 30 odd years ago.


Limsboro’ Cairn
Limsboro' Cairn


Lynch Tor
Lynch Tor

A quick visit to Lynch Tor (35) which lies than 200 metres to the North-West, then off to the Walkham Head Peat Pass.  The going is tough on this part of the moor, but I managed to pick up a few sheep tracks to help me on my way.  The Peat Pass (I7) wasn’t to hard to find with a post marking both ends.


Walkhampton Head Peat Pass



Next it was a short run over to Tavy Hole (I8), a nice waterfall but close enough to Tavy Head that the dry weather meant the river was flowing enough to show it at its best, but certainly one to return to. 


Tavy Hole


Turning west now I headed over to Standon Hill (54), this would have been heavy going in wetter conditions but it was a case of crunching my way across the plain. It not a particularly spectacular tor but what it lacks in stature it make up for in position with amazing 360 degree views.   



Standon Hill
Standon Hill


Time to head for home now with a nice run contouring below Lynch Tor over to the Langstone (K5).  The face of which shows the pock marks from American machine gunners practicing in 1944.

The Langstone with Gt Mis on the Horizon


All that was left was to run down the hill back to the car, 19km done, I was glad of the building cloud cover on a hot day.




Co-ordinates in brackets eg (Q10) refer to squares in Dartmoor 365 by John Hayward




No comments:

Post a Comment