Tuesday 21 May 2019

I found Ter Hill and my Dartmoor mojo.

I parked up at Combestone Tor with the plan of running out to Ter Hill.  On the way I visited Hooten Wheals (P12) where I stopped to remove my windproof.  Is was a beautiful day, but with a cold wind hence the windproof early on, but now it was hotting up.

Hexworthy Mines (Harveys Maps) or Hooten Wheals (OS)



I picked up a nice track which took me all the way to western most of the Ter Hill Crosses (P11).
Ter Hill Cross



From there I turned south picking up some sheep tracks which made the going easier.  It's very dry at moment on the moors and this made the going a little easier going to Ter Hill, I can imagine that it would be hard going in wetter conditions.  Although the summit of Ter Hill is a little disappointing it has a feeling of remoteness which I love about the south moor, and is different from the feeling I get when traversing the North Moor. From there I made my way to Naker's Hill, again not much to report here.  Then onwards down to Carter's Beam Picking a burnt area which must have been the site of the recent Dartmoor fires.  I wonder how they started.  I decided to run this burnt area as I thought I would offer some good running.  Wrong! The ground was very soft making the going very energy sapping.  I was soon at Carters Beam (Q10).

Cater's Beam




  Before running the small gully down to Fox Tor.  From Fox Tor I ran down into Sunshine Valley (Harvey's Maps) aptly named on this hot sunny day. Up Mount Misery and on Home via Few more crosses!
Sunny Valley



Mount Misery Cross


Ter Hill Cross


Skir Ford Cross


Co-ordinates in brackets eg (Q10) refer to squares in Dartmoor 365 by John Hayward

No comments:

Post a Comment