Monday 16 July 2012

Run from West Rook Gate

The summer continues! I was under the impression that it was going to be OK today, so headed out after the school run.  It didn't look promising when I arrived below West Rook Gate but thought it may might clear up as I ran.  I was very wrong!  Once I hit the moor after a short road run I quickly realised that this was going to be a day to test the navigation skills, so set my altimeter at the gate and was glad I did.  The short climb to Rook Tor (170) and the quick realisation that there isn't a lot to see here and so I quickly moved on and up.  I was glad to see Penn Beacon (91) appear out of the mist and stopped to take some photos.

Penn Beacon

Penn Beacon

Seem to remember having been here before probably during a hash or fell race.  Off again this time to Shell Tor (64) which turned out to be a nice little tor, again I was glad to find it.

Stunning Views from Shell Top

Next I made the short hop to the trigpoint at SX602645, I have added this to the list as it it the highest point around unfortunately it is unnamed. 



Next off to Hen Tor which I have already visited so just a flying visit before turning south west to Little (150) and Great Trowelsworthy Tors (140), a nice run and good underfoot, just before the tor I stumbled on two people carrying yellow bags around which they leaving around the place.  I am not sure what they were up to, maybe leaving kit for Royal Marines or other military training exercise.  If anyone knows please let me know.  

Enjoying the weather near Little Trowelsworthy Tor

Great Trowelsworthy Tor

All that was left now was the run home, but that's another story!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy,

    The best runs are sometimes the claggy ones. Could it have been Dartmoor Rescue putting an exercise out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree it was a really good run, apart from a mistake near the end which meant I missed west rook gate and added another 4km on to my run, including a big road section! Dartmoor rescue is as good as anything I came up with although they were out on a quad!

      Lucy

      Delete