Monday 7 March 2011

Snowdon and more - 7th March 2011

Pupers Hill
It looked like it was going to be a pleasant day and after a weekend of jobs around the house it was the ideal opportunity to get out for a walk.  No running at the moment after a twisted knee last week orienteering. So satnav programmed it was off to near Lud Gate not far from Buckfastleigh.  This is the best access in the area to the east side of the south moor, it does however does involve a 1km track/road walk to the moor edge.  There was more cloud cover than I was expecting when I started my climb up to Pupers Hill(67) and I was quickly reminded of the time of year when I got out of the shelter of the trees. But as long as you didn't hang around to long it was very pleasant walking conditions.  It wasn't long before Bramble and me reached the cairn on the top of Pupers.  I have been out here before but that must have been some 7 or 8 years ago.  There were some good views to be had over the moors but to the east it was still hazy so no views to be had there.  It was nice to see Huntington Warren and it reminded me that I should add it to my list, that and Red Lake which can be seen sticking out like a volcano from all over the south moor.  I quickly dashed across to outer Pupers to pick up a geocache.  Not hanging around long I started the short walk over to Snowdon (197) not on the original list but one that is defiantly worth adding.  Two cairn/tumuli are the only features on this plateau of the summit.  It bear no resemblance to it's namesake in North Wales but does offer good views and is certainly less busy.  Next it was on to Ryders Hill (37) again a short hop but this time over wetter ground, I started off carefully trying to avoid getting wet feet but soon gave up that game.  Ryders Hill is indistinct and without there being a trig to tell you are there you may well miss it.  With the fog down it could be a nice challenge, but today we were walking under blue skies. A 70m detour, enabled me to pick up my second geocache of the day then back to the trig for a quick chat with some walkers, one of who was 120 tors into his challenge and using the same reference book.  We quickly chatted about our challenge, extra tors we had discovered before they sped off to Snowdon.  The easiest way back was to retrace my original path, but that is rarely satisfying, so I head off east and skirted along the eastern flank of Snowdon, below Snowdon Hole to the spring, before following the leat to the track back to the car.  A beautiful day in some stunning scenery.
 
 
Ryders Hill
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment