Friday 25 March 2011

Run from Harford Moor Gate

View from Sharp Tor
Trig Point on Three Barrows
Barrow on Hillson's House
Add caption
Tristis Rock
 Another stunning spring day on the moors so I headed off to Harford Gate.  The first thing I noticed was a tor on the other side of the valley, I would check it out on the map when I got to my first Tor. Quickly got into my running and in no time at all I was at Sharp Tor (103) enjoying the views.   I took the opportunity to look at the map, the Tor in question was Tristis Rock, I had difficulty in telling on my out of date map, whether I would be able to get to it or not, but decided I would go and have a look.  Next I made my way to Three barrows (70) where I met some walkers they were locals so I asked them about access to Tristis Rock, to which they said it was all good and there were no issues with private landI continued on to the old clay pits at Left Lake before turning left, dropping into the valley to cross the Erme at a small damn.  A welcome stop to pass the time of day with two local farmers who were out checking on their sheep before lambing begins.  Then the long climb to Hilson's House (199), I managed about 75 metres of tough climbing before my lungs and legs gave up the game and I walked the last 30 metre or so of the climb.  The more I make my way on this journey through the list more I wonder if the author really did get out there for surely he wouldn't have missed so many of these Tors and hilltops if he had.  Hilson's House and my next target of Tristis have been added to my list.  So I head off to the west to visit one of my favourite stone rows.  It must be over 400 metres in length.  From the end of the row some stunning running terrain allows you to eat up the remain km to the start of the field system in no time at all, and soon I was running along another stone row less impressive but just as long which led me into Tristis Rock (200).  A great little Tor with great views.  Now all that was left was to drop into the valley cross the Erme once again and make the short run back to the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment