Tuesday 24 January 2012

Hartland, Stannon and Sittaford Tor

Sheepfold below Stannon Tor
I wasn’t sure what the weather was going to do so I took a risk and drove up to Postbridge.  On leaving Bovey Tracey the weather was fine and bright but as I crossed the moors it became patchier.   I took the path to the north of the river and it wasn’t before I was in ankle deep mud, not to worry I was sure my trail shoes would be up to it.  First tor of the day was Hartland Tor (106), clouds were streaming across the sky and sun was quickly followed by shade.  The itself is nothing remarkable but it’s a good starting point to get deeper into the moors.  I followed the ridge north until the furthest wall boundary. I stopped here to get the kite out for a bit for Kite Aerial Photography, basically you lift the camera with the kite, set the camera to take photos every 5 seconds or so and hope for the best!  My goal was to capture the beautiful stone sheepfold which is part way up the hillside of Stannon Tor (71).  I kept the kite up all the way to Stannon Tor.  There isn’t really much too Stannon Tor but it does give great views west over the moors, and today you could see the weather driving in from the west, blue skies followed quickly by black clouds and the threat of rain.  I continued north The Grey Wethers Stone Circles, where again I got the kite out trying to capture the stone circle from the air hoping for the sun to come out and cast some magical shadows from the stones.  Alas the weather wouldn’t play ball.  I pulled the kite up to Sittaford Tor (24) and climbed over the top across a style, no easy task with the kite pulling hard, to west side to try and get shots from a very different angle.  As it was quite windy now I decided to keep the kite up until I got into the lee of the hill.  I soon crossed the wall to the south and found some good walking which enabled me to lower the kite on the move.  Soon the kite was down and packed away and started the journey back to Postbridge and the car.  It was only when I got home and plugged the camera into the computer that I could take a look at the results.  
Stannon Tor


Sheep on Stannon Tor with Fernworthy in the distance

Stannon Tor

The Grey Wethers Stone Circles

Sittaford Tor
Hartland Tor viewed from the west

2 comments:

  1. Love the aerial shots - the Grey Wethers one particularly. May rig one up myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah nice to get a different view. Look forward to seeing some of yours.

      Delete